Outreach at Journey is about showing God's love in a practical way. We have Journey in Action Sundays, where we go out into our community and do random acts of kindness, service projects or visit retirement centers. We host events like Splash Bash (renting out a Topeka pool and inviting the community to join us for free evening of swimming) or our Block Party, giving people an opportunity to connect with a church in a fun way. We hope to develop relationships with our neighbors, meet needs, and show that Journey Church is a safe place to navigate life and faith together. We also send out teams on mission trips - our next group will be going to Honduras in the summer of 2017.
This summer the Outreach and Children’s teams are joining together to develop relationships with neighborhood children, provide for needs, and connect with their parents. New this summer is Journey Jubilee, a weekly program for neighborhood children. We're also changing up our school supply event to benefit Jubilee participants.
- Pray for our neighbors - Pray that parents will be open to bringing their children here and that children will be excited to come. Pray for opportunities to connect with and love them. Pray that we can develop relationships with the children and their parents. Pray that this creates opportunities to share the Good News.
- Walk and pray - Join Journey Tracks on Wednesdays at 1:00 pm to walk and pray in our neighborhood. Email Jacquelyn at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm.
- Help with Jubilee - Help on Thursday mornings serving food, playing with kids, cleaning up. We have leadership and summer interns already in place, but an extra body or two would be very helpful! Help during the week with food coordination or activity preparation.
- Help with the school supply finale event - We need help with planning, shopping, and preparation in June and July.
- Donate money - We need funds for Jubilee, school supplies, and big items like a canopy and picnic tables. Our goal is $5000. We'll be raising funds through the end of May. Checks and electronic payments should have Jubilee designated on them.
Contact Jacquelyn, Journey's Outreach Coordinator, at email@example.com if you'd like more information or volunteer.
Hope, Opportunity, and Prosperity for Everyone - HOPE Mentoring for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) clients is a voluntary one-on-one relationship between a volunteer and a TANF client. The mentor provides support, counsel, friendship, reinforcement and a constructive example by helping the mentee reach his/her academic, career, social and personal goals. The goal is to build problem-solving skills and end the cycle of dependency and generational poverty.
Call 1-844-654-HOPE or visit www.dcf.ks.gov/Mentoring/Pages/HOPE-Mentoring-TANF.aspx if you'd like to learn more about supporting our community.
An outreach to develop relationships with neighborhood children, to meet needs and to connect with parents.
In 2016 we spent a lot of time and energy the first three months of the year remodeling our new facility and we are really enjoying it. In March we went out into our new neighborhood to invite them to our Easter Celebration. In June we held our 4th annual Splash Bash at Gage Park, a night of swimming and sweets for the whole community. For this year's USD 501's enrollment day we invited students from three schools in hopes to "change lives, one backpack at time." Four hundred students came in to "shop" for free backpacks and school supplies thanks to the generosity of donors. It was a great day and the help of lots of volunteers made it possible! In October we hosted a block party for our neighborhood and served 300 hotdogs. The bounce houses were a big hit! Journey was an Operation Christmas Child drop off location and the Journey family filled 72 of 382 boxes we collected. For Christmas we adopted a couple young adults who have recently aged out the foster system. We filled their needs lists and some wants too!